Respiratory Tract Infections or RTI refers to any infectious diseases involving respiratory tract.
- RTI can be classified into 2 types:
- Upper Respiratory Tract Infections (URTI)
- Lower Respiratory Tract Infections (LRTI)
1.Upper Respiratory Tract Infections (URTI) includes:
- Common cold
- Laryngitis etc.
- Symptoms of UTRI include:
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Nasal Congestion
- Head ache
- Low grade fever
- Facial pressure
The main stay of treatment for UTRI is symptom based Antimicrobials and Antiviral therapy is given in selected patients.
- Lower Respiratory Tract Infections (LRTI) includes:
Lower Respiratory Tract Infections are more serious than UTRI and are leading cause of death among all infectious diseases.
The most common LTRI are
1. Symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath
- Fatigue &
- Acute Bronchitis does not require antibiotic treatment, they are given to patients with acute exacerbations of chronic Bronchitis.
- The treatment of bacterial pneumonia is selected by considering the:
- Age of the patient
- Severity of the illness
- Presence of underlying disease